Can you believe that it’s 2017, already? I actually wrote 2015 on a piece of paper the other day…and that’s been out for a while (hopefully we can say the same thing about the “dab” but that’s another post for another day).
Like most everyone I know, 2016 was kind of an up and down year for me and our family. Lots of good times, but more harder ones than I would care to dwell on. More than anything, however, we learned from the hard times. I know it’s been relatively quiet around here for the last 12 months. Running a business full time and playing taxi for my boys leaves me with very little spare time. What little spare time I do end up with is generally spent on doing maintenance type things. Like revamping this site again…a project that, though relatively simple, took me all day long.
I sat down during the month of December and really hashed out what my goals and intentions were for the upcoming year. I have this habit of running with soooooo many ideas that none of them every get accomplished to the fullest. I am the Queen of Good Intentions, but I wanted 2017 to be purposeful, intentional and full of positive change and growth. I came up with 10 solid, firm, attainable goals using Lara Casey’s Powersheets (snag some, y’all if you haven’t already) and I’m really excited to see what God does through these goals and through the upcoming year.
- Take the Nancy Ray/Lara Casey Contentment challenge.Hubby and I have prayed about this and we are doing it big. We’re going 12 months…one full year…without spending on anything that isn’t a necessity. I’m going to share a bit more about this in a post all on its own, but this is our “together” big goal for 2017. We live in such a materialistic society. We both want our hearts to stop chasing after “things” and start finding fulfillment in the one who matters.
- Make time for Spiritual Growth & Intentional Prayer.For me this goal includes forcing myself to wake up before everyone else does (i.e. 5:00 am) to ensure that I do all of the things that I have my heart and mind set on doing. Walking in faith is a discipline. It’s a practice. Our spiritual lives need conditioning the same way that an athlete needs to condition his or her body, our souls need to be conditioned as well. I’m set on making sure that GOD is my first priority and covering my family in prayer each day.
- Create a healthier lifestyle for myself and my family.For me this means less time sitting at my computer and more time being physically active. The downside of a desk job is the stagnant lifestyle. I joined a gym at the end of December and have been spending an hour each day there doing cardio and weight training. I’m also aiming to completely cut carbs (the struggle…) and get back to whole foods and veggies.
- Start up my Photography Business, again.This is already in the works! I purchased my new Mark iii last year and I forgot how much I adore being behind the lens. Stay tuned for more on that.
- Super secret goal that I’m not ready to reveal yet…Don’t worry. You’ll know more, soon!
- Continue to grow and expand the services that I offer at Sweet Southern Media.Again, not quite ready to reveal all of this yet seeing as how it’s in the works. Stay tuned!
- Submit that book proposal.I’ve been working on a Christian life proposal for about 18 months. This is the year that I swallow my fear and do it!
- More intentional daily prayer time and devotionals with my boys.We’ve started a dinner devotional and been more intentional with our nighttime/bedtime prayer routine with the boys. They are thriving and my mama heart is so excited to watch God stir their little souls this year!
- Save More, Give More.We have a number in mind for how much we want to SAVE and how much we want to GIVE. With us doing the contentment challenge together, we’re really anticipating being able to bless so many this coming year.
- Read More…Write More….I’m aiming to read 30 books this year. That’s a little over a book every two weeks. I’m determined to take more time away from work and busyness to relax and refresh my mind and my soul. I’m also going to be doing more writing…both here and offline.
Do you set goals for the New Year? What’s on your list of things to do this year?